Can Acupuncture Help You Conceive?
… fertility treatments can be incredibly expensive. For example, intrauterine insemination can cost hundreds of dollars and a single cycle of IVF can cost $10,000-$20,000. So couples are looking for other options that could possibly give them a greater chance at success.
A 2002 German study suggesting that acupuncture may, in fact, work. The study looked at 160 women undergoing IVF, half of whom received acupuncture along with IVF, and the other half who received IVF alone. They found pregnancy rates among the women undergoing acupuncture were significantly higher.
Acupuncture can cost a few hundred dollars to a few thousand dollars depending on where you go and how long you need treatment. And it's often not covered by insurance.
Saturday Early Show's Dr. Mallika Marshall
German Study Breakdowns:
80 WOMEN UNDERWENT IVF AND RECEIVED ACUPUNCTURE
- 34 of the 80 women got pregnant, a success rate of 42.5%
80 WOMEN RECEIVED IVF WITHOUT ANY ACUPUNCTURE TREATMENTS
- 21 women (26.3%) became pregnant
Source/Dept. of Reproductive Medicine, Christian-Lauritzen-Institut, Ulm, Germany
Source/IntegraMed/The Fertility Company®
- More recently, an American study involving 114 women showed that 51% of the women who had acupuncture and IVF treatments became pregnant versus only 36% of the women who had IVF alone.
- 8% of the women in the acupuncture group miscarried; the rate of miscarriage in the IVF-only group was 20%.
- Women who received acupuncture also had lower rates of ectopic pregnancies
STUDY: Acupuncture Improves Fertility in Men, Too
- Men suffer from infertility issues just as frequently as women
- 35% and 40%of infertility problems are actually caused by male conditions
Source/National Infertility Association (aka – RESOLVE)
- 28 men diagnosed with infertility received acupuncture over five weeks
- Motility Levels Increased significantly in the men receiving acupuncture
- The number and percentage of healthy sperm increased dramatically
- Study Conclusion: Acupuncture treatment is a simple and non-invasive method that can improve sperm quality
Source/Acupunture Today, September, 2005